Healthy Living & Family Fun
Candy can be an integral part of a healthy lifestyle and is certainly a great element in the fun we have with family and friends. Whether part of a recipe, game, craft or party, candy brings out the fun in life in a unique way.
Fun Facts about Winter Holidays
- Most kids ages 6-11 years old say they eat a candy cane by sucking on it (54 percent) But that's not the only way to enjoy this favorite holiday treat
- Biting/crunching: 24 percent
- Licking: 19 percent
- Don't know: 2 percent
- Other: 1 percent
- When eating candy canes, boys were almost twice as likely to crunch their candy canes than girls (31 percent v. 17 percent).
- Of 1,000 adults surveyed, 89 percent said candy plays a role in their winter holiday celebrations.
- Placing candy in a bowl: 72 percent
- Giving/receiving a box of chocolates: 70 percent
- Giving/receiving a holiday stocking filled with goodies: 63 percent
- Creating a gingerbread house: 19 percent
- More than 1.8 billion candy canes will be made for the winter holiday season, in traditional peppermint flavor as well as super-sour, fruit and tropical fruit flavors. A typical candy cane contains only 55 calories and no fat/cholesterol.
- More than 150 million chocolate Santas will be made for the winter holiday season.
- The winter holidays represent the biggest boxed chocolate selling season.
- The winter holidays are the third largest "candy holiday" sales season, behind Halloween and Easter. Valentine's Day is fourth.
- Retail sales overall for the winter holiday season (November-December) account for 20-40 percent of annual retail sales.
- More than 33 million real Christmas trees will be sold for the season and more than 67 million turkeys will be consumed on Thanksgiving and Christmas.
View other fun facts
There is no featured Holiday at this time.
View other Holiday information
View other recipes
Unable to Find Content
We were unable to find the content that you have requested. This may mean the content has been removed from the site, or the link you clicked is incorrect.
You may search the site to find similar content.