Coffee Rio Mocha Caramel Custards
Author: Adams & Brooks, Inc.
You will need:
- 2 1/4 cups of milk
- 40 each Pieces of Coffee Rio Coffee Candy, unwrapped
- 3 eggs
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
This Recipe will produce 8 caramel lined custard cups (2/3 cup each).
- Fill with water a shallow pan or baking dish large enough to hold all eight custard cups. Place dish in oven. Turn oven to 350 degrees to preheat while preparing custard.
- Place the milk and the Coffee Rio candies in a sauce pan and heat to just below a simmer. Stir, cover, and remove from heat and let sit while preparing caramel. Stir occasionally. The Coffee Rio candies should be completely dissolved in the milk mixture.
- Prepare the caramel-lined cups (see below).
- Use a wire whisk to beat the eggs and egg yolks together in a large bowl until light and foamy. Continue to beat while adding the hot milk-Coffee Rio mixture in a thin stream of droplets. Stir in the vanilla.
- Divide the custard mixture between the custard cups. Place the cups in the pan of simmering water in the oven. Turn oven down to 325 degrees. Bake for about 40 minutes, checking to see that the water simmers but does not boil. Custards are done when a knife inserted into center of the custard comes out clean.
- To serve warm, place custards in cool water for about 10 minutes to firm them up; otherwise refrigerate. To serve, run a knife between custard and cup, place serving dish over custard, and quickly turn both custard and dish over to un-mold custard.
Caramel-Lined Custard Cups
You will need:
- 2/3 Cup sugar
- 1/3 Cup water
* Place sugar and water in a small, heavy sauce pan. Bring to a boil over moderate heat, swirling the pan occasionally until the syrup turns a light brown. This will take 3 to 4 minutes. Do not let the syrup become to dark or it will have a bitter taste. While the syrup is still hot, divide among the custard cups.