Hip Hop Hurray! This bunny cake will be a welcome guest at any springtime gathering.
You will need:
- 1 package (any type) of cake mix (plus the ingredients necessary to make that cake)
- 2 cans pre-made vanilla frosting
- 1 14-oz. package of coconut (about 5 cups)
- food coloring
- small candy pieces for decorating the cake (gum drops, jelly beans, licorice, chocolate chips, etc.)
- Prepare cake mix as directed and pour into two 8- or 9-inch round cake pans. Bake cakes according to package directions. Cool completely.
- Cut cake as show in diagram.
- Line large tray or sturdy cardboard with foil.
- Frost sides of each cake piece.
- Place pieces of cake as shown in diagram on foil-lined tray.
- Frost top of cake.
- Sprinkle about 2 ¾ cup coconut over top and sides of cake, lightly pressing coconut onto the sides.
- In a small bowl combine ¾ cup coconut with two – three drops red food coloring and toss until evenly colored. Place aside. Repeat with 1 ½ cups coconut and two – three drops green food coloring.
- Sprinkle pink coconut over ears and bowtie; outline with chocolate chips.
- Decorate bunny face with other candy pieces using small slices of licorice for whiskers.
- Sprinkle green coconut on foil-lined tray around cake. Place additional candies on the green “grass” if desired. You can also make the bunny's bow tie a different color if desired.