Merry Cherry Squares
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cup margarine or butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 egg
- 2 cups All-Purpose flour
- 3/4 cup coarsely chopped red candied cherries
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped chocolate candies
- Glaze (see below)
- Preheat oven to 300 F.
- Mix sugar, margarine, almond extract and egg in large bowl until well blended.
- Stir in flour, 1/2 cup of cherries and the salt.
- Spread on ungreased jelly roll pan, 15-1/2 x 1 inch.
- Sprinkle with remaining cherries and the candies, press lightly.
- Cut into about 2-inch squares.
Makes 40 squares
Glaze: Mix 1 cup powdered sugar and 5 to 6 teaspoons warm water until smooth and of desired consistency.