Trick-or-Treat Candy Surprise Cupcakes
Leftover trick-or-treat candy? You can use any chocolate candy in this easy recipe and your family and friends will have fun guessing what flavor they have.
- 1 box of chocolate cake mix and any ingredients it calls for
- Unwrapped miniature candy bars, enough for 18 – 24 cupcakes depending on your mix
- Buttercream frosting , recipe below
- Preheat oven according to package direction.
- Chop miniature candy pieces to fit inside cupcakes. Very small candies may be fine without chopping, but larger pieces will need to be sliced into two or three pieces.
- Insert cupcake baking cups into muffins tins.
- Mix cake according to directions on package.
- Pour or scoop batter to fill each baking cup about 2/3 full.
- Insert miniature candy bar pieces into each muffin cup and press it with a spoon until it is just covered by the batter.
- Bake according to package directions.
- Allow to cool and top with buttercream frosting.
OPTIONAL – Apply some chocolate shavings to the top of each frosted cupcake to keep the ingredients secret. If you prefer to reveal the flavor varieties, make a chart so you will know what’s inside each cupcake. Once frosted, add additional chopped candies to the top of the cake indicating its “secret” ingredient. This takes the fun out of guessing, but might make picky eaters much happier.
Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 to 2 tablespoons whipping cream
- In a mixer fitted with a whisk (or by hand), mix together sugar and butter. Mix on low speed until well blended and then increase speed to medium and beat for another 3 minutes.
- Add vanilla and cream and continue to beat on medium speed for 1 minute more, adding more cream if needed for spreading consistency.