LARGEST CANDY AND SNACK SHOW PROVES INDUSTRY SALES SWEET, DESPITE SOUR ECONOMY
ALL CANDY EXPO® Introduces Hottest New Products and Trends for 2009/2010, Recaps 2008 Industry Performance
Contact: Susan Whiteside
Chicago (May 19, 2009) - The largest candy and snack show in North America, ALL CANDY EXPO® 2009 unveils more than 2,000 new confectionery creations and snack sensations, May 19-21 at McCormick Place West Building. The annual show, presented by the National Confectioners Association (NCA), brings together industry experts and nearly 450 manufacturers to review industry performance, preview new products and forecast the driving trends for the coming year.
New Product Releases Drive Trends
For 2009/2010, NCA predicts the leading product trends including Classic Remix, Super Fruits and Exotic Origins, Red Carpet Chocolate, Sweet Sophistication, Flavor Flash Back, Super Sour and Flavor-full, and Holiday Hot Spot:
- Classic Remix - Tried and true confectionery favorites are taking on new tastes and flavor twists. MARS Snackfood US takes its traditional "melt in your mouth, not in your hands" M&M'S® Brand Chocolate Candies and goes tropical with limited edition Coconut M&M'S® Brand Chocolate Candies. Get a double flavor punch with Wrigley's SKITTLES® CRAZY CORESTM, which feature two mouth-watering SKITTLES® flavors in every piece. Hershey® goes to the dark side with new Reese's® Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups®. And, Hershey®'s KISSES® Brand Chocolates now come with a velvety smooth, chocolate meltaway center in a new decadent offering, Hershey®'s KISSES® MELTAWAY. Combining America's favorite sugar-free chocolate candy with wholesome granola, Russell Stover® Sugar Free Snack Bars are a delicious 100-calorie treat available in Chocolate Delight Granola, Chewy Granola and Peanut Butter Granola.
- Super Fruits and Exotic Origins - New confections and snacks cross international lines and tantalize taste buds with super fruit essences and exotic influences. Jelly Belly®introduces two new super fruit flavors: Barbados Cherry, an emerging super fruit high in Vitamin C, and Acai (ah-sigh-ee) Berry, an exotic Amazon rainforest fruit, in their new Superfruit Mix, which also includes other super fruits of pomegranate, blueberry and cranberry flavors. The new Chili Mango Jelly Belly® jelly beans offer an exotic fusion of heat and sweet. A natural source of fruit and antioxidants and only 100 calories per pack, Nestlé® Cranberry RaisinetsTM combines all natural dried cranberries with a smooth milk chocolate coating. YummyEarth® Organic Candy DropsTM Anti-OxiFruitsTM presents an organically delicious mix of super fruit flavors including Pomegranate PuckerTM and TooBerry BlueberryTM. Keep your breath fresher, longer with new island inspired Tic Tac® Melon Mango mixed-flavor package from Ferrero USA, Inc. And Snack Better® with Sahale Snacks Glazed Nuts Cashews with Pomegranate + Vanilla, the perfect combination of whole roasted cashews with pomegranate and apple, and balanced with pure vanilla bean. Also new, try Sahale Snacks Glazed Nuts Almond PB&J with Peanuts + Berries; and Almonds with Cranberries, Honey + Sea Salt.
- Red Carpet Chocolate - An affordable indulgence, chocolate pleases palates and wallets. Now more than ever, chocolate is proving every day can be gourmet with premium products that won't break the bank. Ghirardelli® introduces the LUXE MILKTM collection of premium chocolates for the ultimate milk chocolate experience. The collection includes LUXE MILKTM Milk premium chocolate; LUXE MILKTM Hazelnut with all-natural deep-roasted hazelnuts; LUXE MILKTM Almond with crisp toasted almonds; LUXE MILKTM Crisp with toasted crisped rice; and LUXE MILKTM Duet, which combines a layer of light, sweet milk chocolate with a layer of bittersweet dark chocolate. In addition, MARS Snackfood US welcomes a harmonious pairing of soft and creamy peanut butter surrounded by silky smooth DOVE® Chocolate inDOVE® Silky Smooth Milk Chocolate with Peanut Butter PROMISES®. These individually wrapped chocolates include eloquent "promise" captions inside each wrapper. A delicate truffle, Landrin Waferatto Gold features an exquisite chocolaty hazelnut filling wrapped in a smooth cream, wafer coating and finished with the finest crushed hazelnuts.
- Sweet Sophistication - Maturing to meet consumer demand for sophisticated sweets, novel treats provide full sensory experiences and unusual flavor pairings to surprise and delight taste buds. DAS® Lolli lollipops challenge senses with bold new flavor pairings: Naughty Ginger is a unique ginger and lemon flavored pop, Caramelini Me Happy is a salty caramel lollipop, Fab-O-Pom blends orange and pomegranate, and Man Bait is a unique maple bacon flavored lollipop that's sure to appeal to his taste buds. Chuao Chocolatier's new Chinita Nibs ChocoPod delivers an unusual, unexpected yet delicious flavor filling of caramelized cocoa nibs and nutmeg inside a dark chocolate shell. And new from Osmanium Candy Company, Crackheads2® Gourmet Chocolate Coffee Caffeine dark chocolate coated coffee beans are sure to awaken your senses.
- Flavor Flash Back - Finding comfort in "sweet memories," consumers are returning to traditional tastes and packaging reminiscent of their childhood and happy times. This year, old is new again as candy company Just Born, Inc. introduces Goldenberg's® Original PEANUT CHEWS®, Mike And Ike® and Hot Tamales® in vintage package designs. If you're a sucker for lollipops, don't miss Tootsie® Roll's classic Apple Orchard Caramel Apple PopTM - the traditional delicious apple candy pop with smooth caramel coating - now available in Golden Delicious and classic green apple, caramel apple flavors. Welcoming a new member to the family, Hershey®'s Good ‘N Plenty® and Good ‘N Fruity® chewy fruit candy line introduce a new bold cinnamon flavor - Good ‘N FieryTM.
- Super Sour and Flavor-full - Innovative super sour flavors and tangy fillings are daring consumers to pucker up. For a long-lasting shock that's Sour then Sweet ®, Cadbury's Sour Patch ChillerzTM is a soft and chewy Sour Patch candy creation that leaves a tingling surge of cool at the end. And Cadbury's new Trident LayersTM is a uniquely formulated chewing gum with a special middle flavor layer you can see. Trident LayersTM delivers an intriguing combination of two juicy fruit flavors that blend together for one deliciously long-lasting flavor experience, available in Strawberry+Citrus and Apple+Pineapple. Wonka's® PUCKEROOMS Sour Gummy Candy is the chewiest new treat from Nestlé®, made with natural ingredients and 25 percent real fruit juice. The mushroom-shaped sour gummi candy delivers a tart twist with a curious combination of squishy and sour that dazzles your mouth. Candy Dynamics' TOXIC WASTE® Hi-VoltageTM Bubble Gum amps up the volume with three extra long cables of gum, each with a shockingly sour core and in hazardously sour flavors including Amp'd Apple, Surgin' Strawberry and Blackout Blue Razz. Get the sour tickle with the American Licorice Company's Chewy Extinguisher® Sour Fruit Candy and Chewy Extinguisher® Sour Citrus Candy. Tackle three super sour layers of fantastic flavor before reaching the Sweet Mixed Berry Extinguisher inside.
- Holiday Hot Spot - New seasonal treats give consumers reason to celebrate. Just Born, Inc. presents holiday Marshmallow Reindeer Chocolate Mousse PEEPS® and spooky Marshmallow Cats Chocolate Mousse PEEPS®. Trick-or-treat with DOTS® Halloween Mix, which includes colorful Candy Corn DOTS®, Blood Orange flavored Bat DOTS® and haunting Ghost DOTS® (Tootsie® Roll Industries). For Valentine's Day, try Necco's new Sweethearts® Conversation Hearts Forbidden Fruits featuring "Twilight" movie-themed conversation hearts with spellbinding phrases like "Live 4 Ever" and "Bite Me."
Industry Reports on 2008 Product Announcements and Sales*
In 2008, thousands of new confectionery and snack products debuted to meet consumer demand:
- 3,345 New confectionery products debuted:
- Chocolate: 1,873
- Non-chocolate: 1,29
- Gum: 181
- 3,121 new snack, cookie and cracker products debuted:
- Cookies: 77
- Crackers: 22
- Potato chips: 43
- Popcorn: 12
- Nuts and seeds: 30
- Cereal bars: 430
- Other snacks (pretzels, puffed snacks, fruit snacks, meat snacks, etc.): 818
*Datamonitor's Product Launch Analytics online database of new products SKUs 2008
Industry Posts Gains; Chocolate and Gum Lead Sales*
The confectionery industry posted a 3.7 percent gain for the 52-week period ending April 19, 2009. Candy, chocolate and gum continued to lead the snack category in sales and ranked third in food sales overall. The following key categories experienced growth in 2008:
- Chocolate, America's favorite flavor, remained popular in 2008:
- Everyday gourmet (premium) chocolate sales rose 28 percent in 2008. This marks the fourth year of double-digit growth for the category.
- Dark chocolate sales increased 12 percent.
- Sugar-free gum led industry growth with a 10 percent sales increase for the last 52 weeks.
- Licorice sales grew seven percent over the last 52-week period.
- Gummies and chewy (non-chocolate) candy grew 10.7 percent in the last 52 weeks.
*Based on IRI and NCA data.
About the National Confectioners Association (NCA) - Founded in 1884 in Chicago by representatives of 69 confectionery manufacturing firms, the National Confectioners Association is one of the oldest, most respected trade associations in the world. Today NCA has 700 members and is the major association representing the entire confectionery industry, offering education and leadership in manufacturing, technical research, public relations, retailing practices, government relations and statistical analyses. NCA fosters industry growth by advancing and promoting the interests of the confectionery industry and its consumers.