The Murnane Companies’ history commenced in 1919, when Joseph Holloway Murnane co-founded Murnane-Brent Paper Company. In 1921, Joe became the sole proprietor of what was renamed Murnane Paper Company, a distributor of coarse papers and a converter/distributor of fine papers.
One of Joe’s customers during the Depression was a soap manufacturer which contracted with Lynch Machinery to develop an automatic soap wrapping machine. The specifications called for a precision cut base card and, suddenly, Joe found himself in the paperboard converting business. Lynch then began discussions with the Williamson Candy Company to pursue a possible application of their wrapper technology with the O’Henry Candy Bar. Prototype cut cards were delivered to Williamson and a close connection between the confectionery industry and Murnane Paper was forged which continues to this day.
In 1983, Frank Jr., oldest of four siblings, became president of Murnane Packaging, succeeding his father who served as the company’s first chairman until his passing 2014. In 1988, Frank Jr. led the formation of Murnane Specialties, Incorporated, specializing in protective padding and pressure sensitive labels, printed/laminated paperboard rollstock, and a variety of printed papers in roll or sheet form.
The Murnane Companies have been family-owned and operated for four generations and are currently led by President Frank J. Murnane Jr.
Location: Northlake, IL 5th, Geneva, IL 14th - District
U.S. Employees: 50
Exports to Other Countries: Yes
L-R: Frank J. Murnane, Jr.; Mackenzie Murnane (generation 4); Patrick Murnane, Executive Vice President
NCA Supplier Advisory Committee